Sunday, May 6, 2012

Cat's out of the bag!

Yesterday I spent several hours busying myself with preparing notices of our pregnancy, Jason's approaching graduation and our formidable and exciting adventure to Africa while Jason worked endlessly on his "capstone" project for school. His capstone is the culmination of his education, much like a thesis or dissertation.

Since our notices were sent out today, I wanted to blog about the planned trip to Africa. I recognize that for many of our friends and family, hearing of our decision to go to Africa for a year while we're are expecting a baby may seem...well any number of things. Exciting, scary, naive, adventurous, overwhelming...I'm sure there are not enough adjectives to cover every one of our close relation's perspective of our decision. I think that it is natural for people to look upon our decision through the perspective of the decision they would make for themselves. Many of our friends and family have been very supportive and excited for us, while an equal number have expressed fear and attempts to dissuade us. I see their points. I have felt a gamut of emotion ranging from fear to giddiness. I expect that our true experience will fall somewhere in the middle, with amazing moments and really hard ones to balance it out.

For those of you who have spent time in Africa, we look to you for guidance in how we can make the most of our trip and be as safe as possible. We also welcome any advice on places to go, things to see, and how to effectively barter for goods/services. We welcome honest discussion about the risks and safety concerns involved in our trip. Pease understand, however, that we seek advice not to alter our decision, but to make it the safest and most enjoyable it can be.

We are very excited to be going to Africa. We have known for a long time that Jason's career path would take us on global adventures. We welcome this adventure.

We extend an open invitation for family and friends to visit us and the newest member of the family (when s/he joins us in the real world) in Africa or in Washington when we return. We are planning to return to the U.S. in June 2013.

Please don't send items for the baby, as we will not be able to take them all with us to Africa.

Wish us well!

 

Because I have finally figured out how to post pictures in a blog with iPad (thank you blogsy), here is a picture of Jason and myself on a kayak trip in some mangroves. The best part of this was when we got completely turned around and had no idea how to get back to our "boatel." Yes, that's a hotel crossed with a boat. As you can see I had a compass around my neck. I guess the boy scouts got it right: the key to a successful adventure is "be prepared."

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment